Background

February 24, 2011

My Fear of Cooking Something New

I have a fear of trying new things in cooking. All growing up, my sisters or Mom cooked the meals. I was great at baking. That's easy. If I wanted something sweet, I'd have to make it. Besides that, I find baking FUN! Savory dishes... not so much. They're intimidating for me.

When I got married I used my handsome husband as an excuse for not trying some recipes. Recipes with onions or mushrooms in them. My goodness! It's so difficult to find a recipe without onions. He helped me kick that bad habit. It was only an excuse, so he said he'd eat it if I made it. That was about 7 years ago. I'm not saying I haven't tried it here and there, but I really haven't pursued getting over this fear till now.

The drive really started for me in January. Wes bought me my second slow cooker. I have potpourri going in one pretty frequently, and in the other I usually try a casserole for dinner. It takes so little time and tastes SO GOOD!

The next step, I decided was to make something that I've been putting off. Like something with mushrooms. I picked this because it's something I love. I would go to Noodles & Co. everyday for their stroganoff if I could, but that would be ridiculous (and yummy! LOL!!!)

On Monday I picked up some mushrooms so that I would no longer have an excuse. No more saying I don't have the ingredients, or giving them away because I've chickened out. Today was the day. After playing in the snow with my sweet little family and putting the babies down for a nap, I did it... without a recipe. Like always it seems, I look and look and I'm unable to find a recipe that I really like. So I use parts of some that I've found and like the most.

Creamy Mushroom Stroganoff
1/2 lb - pasta
8 oz - sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cup - heavy cream
1/2 cup - 2% milk
3/4 cup - parmesan cheese

Season with:
ground black pepper
onion powder
garlic salt

1)  Cook pasta and drain.
2)  Brown mushrooms in a large pan in butter and
olive oil (don't crowd the mushrooms).
3)  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
4)  You can then either mix the pasta together or top
each plate of pasta individually. Both are going to be yummy!

Now, on with my goal of beating this fear. I've printed out some recipes that I've decided to try. I'll probably end up changing them a bit, because that's what I do. That's OK though. Here are a few of them...
I'm making the Rosemary New Potatoes tomorrow along with a the Soda Roast. I've actually made a soda roast before, so the potatoes are my 'something new'. I'm super excited to see how this goes. So far, so good.

No comments: