January 8, 2010

Crazy way to start the day.

My sweet handsome little boy didn't have a good night Wednesday night. He woke up screaming at about 2 and 4 am. I'm not sure if it was just from pain or if he also had a bad dream. The fact that he's 8 months old and can't tell me makes this such a fun guessing game. No matter the cause, I get to stay up and make sure he's taken care of. Thankfully all he really needed was me and a little teething tablet. He stayed in bed with Wes and I for the rest of the night so that we could all get a little rest.

Wes got up early to head off to work while Max and I stretched out on the bed to sleep a little while longer. When I finally woke up again I realized I was running late for my date with my sisters and Mom. I ran downstairs and let the dogs out back to do their business while I got ready to go, when the door bell rang. I looked through the peep hole to see who it might be because I wasn't expecting anyone. It was a guy in an orange raincoat with a handcart holding a bunch of boxes. I threw some clothes on so that I could see what he needed, but before I got to the door he was gone. I then heard a big thud on the side of my house and my dogs barking. I was a little shocked. I thought, 'That man just jumped my 6' locked fence.' Then I thought, 'No, that's silly! What idiot would do that with a pit in the back yard?!' Well evidently the idiot did exactly that. I went to let my dogs back in and there was the man standing 3 ft in front of me. I was totally freaked out! The dogs came in as he apologized for startling me and telling me that he was with PGE. I didn't listen for long. I closed the door as fast as I could, while my dogs continued to freak out. All of this was happening while my sweet little sick baby was alone upstairs sleeping. I ran upstairs, called my husband and got my boy ready. Wes told me to call PGE to complain, so I made sure the guy was gone and headed to my Mom's house. I didn't feel very safe at my house for some reason. It could have been the fact that some stranger decided to 'JUMP MY 6' FENCE WITH MY PIT INSIDE'. Sorry. I'm obviously still a little angry and freaked out. My pit wasn't the one he needed to worry about though. Our jack russell Annie was about to lay down the law before I opened the back door.

When I got to my parents house I started to tell my family what happened when I started to cry. I guess I hadn't realized how upset I really was. I didn't want to be dramatic, but I was scared. Anyhoo... I called PGE and they told me that he was actually with a company that was switching out the meters for PGE and that I should call them. They also confirmed that our account was noted that they were supposed to set up an appointment prior to coming to my house because of our fence. I then called the other company and while I waited for a call back I call the Portland Police non-emergency line to ask them what I should do. She told me that I should call both companies and rip them a new one. She also told me that if anything like that happens again, to not feel stupid, just call 911. I totally appreciated that!!! When the other company called me back, they apologized and told me to make my complaint through PGE and that PGE would pass it on to them, yadda, yadda, yadda... End of the story is that the guy totally broke PGE's rules of conduct along with the company he works for and along with my freakin rules. Duh!!! Don't jump a 6' locked fence dummy! I'd like to think that his supervisor is going to take care of this so that he won't do it to anyone else in the future, but what can you do. I did what I could. Does it make me feel any safer, no! But I sure do love my family and the people that were so helpful on the phone today.

I have to emphasize how proud I am of my dogs. Mostly Annie because she was so vicious, but Mag did jump up on the guy a couple times. Even though it was to get him to play with him.

Once Wes got home from work, Max and I headed home. We had a wonderful night watching TV, watching Max and playing on the floor together. This is how the night ended. Max in his jumper posing for a picture while asleep. Very sweet. I really do feel truly blessed!

1 comment:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

That would be a little unsettling. I never like seeing the meter reader walking through my yard. It's weird. But they always have crazy bright orange clothing on so you know who they are. We knew they were switching our meter because they sent out letters about a month prior letting us know it was going to happen, so that helped. It didn't help that it looked like junk mail. But it was still weird. But now you won't have meter readers ever going in your yard unless your meter breaks! Yay for that.